Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu says the 9.3km Osokwa-Aro-Umuejie-Omoba Road in Osisioma LGA being done by his administration will be commissioned in the next two weeks.
The Governor stated this while inspecting the progress of work on the road as part of his Statewide inspection and commissioning of projects tagged “Kinetic Abia”.
According to him, the road is strategically important to the economy of the people of Osisioma and Isiala Ngwa South LGAs, being the third alternative rural access route to Omoba city.
The Governor noted that it was the difficulty experienced by the people in accessing the major roads for the evacuation of their produce that compelled his administration to embark on the project expressing delight in the progress so far recorded.
“I want to encourage the contractors to ensure that the same high quality work is done along the whole length of the road. It is also important that our people ensure that they protect the road and other government infrastructure in order for them to last and serve its purpose for many years to come”, he said.
Speaking earlier, the state Commissioner for Works, Barr. Bob Ogu, confirmed that 80% of the work has been completed with the remaining 20% expected to be finished in two weeks time.
In their separate speeches, the Transition Committee Chairman of Osisioma LGA, Dr. Ikechukwu Nwabekee and his Isiala Ngwa South LGA counterpart, Chief Nkem Boniface Onwubiko, thanked the Governor for remembering the people and putting smiles on their faces noting that the road which plays an important role in their socioeconomic life and has long been neglected, has now received the needed attention under the watch of Governor Ikpeazu. They noted that more than fifteen (15) road projects have been completed in the area by the Ikpeazu-led government since inception in 2015 and also called for the Governor’s intervention at Umuoko Road in Isiala Ngwa South LGA.
Leading the Governor through the project site, the contractor handling the road, Rock Waters, represented by the Managing Director, Engr Remy Obijuru, stated that more than 80% of the road has been asphalted with more than 2000 meters of drainage and assured the whole length of the road will be ready in two weeks for commissioning.
Governor Ikpeazu who was accompanied on the tour by his Deputy, Rt Hon. Ude Oko Chukwu, and the member representing Isiala Ngwa North/South constituency at the House of Representatives, Hon Darlington Nwokocha, among other top government officials, also inspected progress of work along Ojike Lane and Milverton Avenue both in Aba also being constructed by Dr Ikpeazu’s government, expressed satisfaction with the progress of the rigid pavement technology applied to the road projects.
Speaking while inspecting the project, Dr. Ikpeazu said the road will connect Milverton Road and the newly reconstructed Eziukwu Road and ultimately link up the popular cemetery market in Aba.
“We will continue to deliver key road projects that will help ventilate Aba and make access to socioeconomic nerves of the city easier for our people and visitors. Our objective remains to add to the road infrastructure stock in a manner that will ensure that administrations after us do not have to go back to same roads we have done”, he said.
Governor Ikpeazu charged the Aba South Local Government Chairman to ensure that the drains are not blocked by people adding that he expects the citizens to take responsibility to ensure that the roads are not washed off by water. He said he was happy that work was going on despite the rains and expressed optimism that the road will be commissioned in the next four weeks.
The Governor later commissioned two road projects executed by his administration to ease movement to the police area command and the state high court premises in Aba South LGA.
For publication of your news content, articles, videos or advert placement, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more enquiry, please call or WhatsApp us on 08063615010.